Spring Cleaning on the boat

What a weekend, Pat was off to a silent retreat Friday so went down and started working around 2:30 Friday, cleaning and organizing the boat. Boy that was a job, and I found a few minor things that needed fixing. One of the solar vents was not working so I tore it down and found the fan motor was stuck, however it turns out the whole unit was on sale half off at West so that was easy to solve (fool that I was to think it was that easy).

Saturday was just plain wonderful, mid to upper 70’s so I went back down. Hmm hanging the main was like making a bed with tangled up sheets, it took 3 tries to get it right, but it is up and ready to go now. Got a $30 shop vac at Loews and the boat is now dust free and spotless (except the galley sink). Spotted some paint and staining needed to be done to make her bright and shiny for the season, so I did that on Sunday.

I went by IKEA and got some floating baskets for the galley and the head and hung them, low $’s and high utility.

By the end of the day Friday and Sat I was shot, went home and fell asleep on the couch!

The vent teak trim cover was for 3” and the new unit was 3.250” so that went home to get adjusted. I think the sole (floor of the cabin), needs to be re-varnished as well as the cabin ladder. I will get the varnish and next time I am down as I leave I will lay down a coat.

The Rigging Company to the rescue

Wow, Jimmy Cockerill at The Rigging Company is great! He came in was able to identify the problem with furler quickly but was able to create a simple solution to the problem quickly and efficiently (without having to go up the mast!).

Along the way he identified other potential problems, trained me on how to prevent new problems all in an outstanding way. I never felt like he was selling work, he just looked at the problems, addressed them and said down the road you should fix this and that, all for a third of what he had quoted to come down.

I will be going through his company for all the things they do from now on!

In the Water

Thanks to Ron and the Team at Holiday Point, we got in the water today. Boat is painted and waxed! Tomorrow (3/21) the Rigging Company will come down to go up the mast and start the repair of the Furler.

While the sail repair work is being done we will start cleaning and refitting the boat for leaving the dock. The De-winterizing of the boat will take some time, but it will be fun work.

Ticking Clock and the cold

What can I say, it got COLD big time and that has slowed things down on getting her back in the water. The remaining tasks were the clean and wax of the hull below the toe line.

Once that is done and the boat will go back in water. We need to be in the water for the riggers on the 21st. After that it is fix the furler and De-winterrize motor and plumbing systems. I would be nice to be sail ready by early April but it is looking tight.

Opps – Murphy ( Dan) Strikes

Things were going fine and then Jon and I started to put up the Head Sail on the Furler. I must have inserted the sail into the wrong track on the rail because it got hard to pull as it got higher. Using the old brute force trick of the winch we got it up. However then the furler would not rotate.

I suspect we forced the rail up further on the mast head and locked it up.

Being smart and not wanting to go up the mast we took it down and contacted The Rigging Company out of Annapolis and they are coming down on the 21’st to check it out. Lets hope for an easy fix.

Who said this would be an easy entry back into the water…..